10 Safety Tips for Camping Trips
Camping Tips: Safety First
There’s nothing like a camping trip to truly get away from it all. Make your next camping adventure more calm than calamitous with these important safety tips.
- Know the weather forecast, current fire danger level, and how to handle local insects and wildlife you might encounter.
- Ask for tips, information, and any current warnings from park staff.
- Prepare for the elements with sunscreen and a wide-brimmed hat in hot weather and warm layers in cold weather.
- Bring a first-aid kit and insect repellent and be prepared for emergencies.
- Pack plenty of water (or a way to purify water) and stay hydrated.
- Allow at least two hours of daylight to scout a safe spot and set up camp.
- Practice fire safety. Never cook in an enclosed space (carbon monoxide is odorless) or leave a fire unattended.
- Learn how to store food overnight to keep wildlife at bay.
- Know how to properly strike your camp, leaving no trash behind.
- Notify someone of where you’ll be and when you plan to return, especially if you’re camping solo or will be out of cell phone range.
Want to know more about where to camp, great tricks and helpful hints? Check out Come to Life Colorado’s great article : https://www.colorado.com/articles/camping-colorado-basics