Worried about Foreclosure? Here’s who to talk to
Q. What experts should I talk to if my home is about to go into foreclosure?
A. Avoid scammers, and talk to one or more of these professionals:
– Your REALTOR® will help you review your options.
– A Foreclosure Counselor will help you evaluate your current financial situation and serve as an advocate with your bank, free of charge.
– A Tax Expert will advise you if you do a short sale or deed-in-lieu of foreclosure since forgiveness of debt may be considered taxable income.
– A Credit Counselor can help you develop a plan to avoid future financial difficulty as well as help you repair your credit score.
– An Attorney can help you if your lender has filed a foreclosure lawsuit.