It’s not just about climate change, it’s about a better planet
Save Energy, Save The Planet
Climate change. It’s a hotly debated topic. No matter where you fall on that topic, we can all agree we need to steward our natural resources well. There are reports of how our overuse of certain things, like plastic straws and bags, are hurting the planet. Here are some ways to save energy and brighten the world around us.
- Stock the fridge. The average refrigerator uses roughly 9% of a home’s energy, and a full fridge uses less energy. (Overfull means it has to work harder to circulate air, though, so aim for reasonable.)
- Keep the oven door closed. Don’t peek at that casserole! Opening the oven door makes the internal temperature drop by up to 25 degrees.
- Wash clothes in cold water. Only about 10% of a washing machine’s energy usage is to make the motor run. The rest is to heat water.
- Unplug chargers when not in use. Even when your iPhone isn’t plugged into its charging cable, the charger itself is still using energy.
- Plant trees around the house. Deciduous trees planted around the house offer shade in summer. They provide warmth in winter, reducing your heating and cooling bill by up to 25%.
The energy.gov/energysaver site has more useful tips. Increase your home’s energy efficiency, including updates on new technology.