Stress-Free Family Flying
Traveling is a great way to build memories with your family — if done thoughtfully. Last month we offered general family travel tips. This month we take to the skies. Buckle up!
- Board early. Most airlines invite families to board first, so take advantage to get settled in.
- Avoid busy airports and peak travel times. Mid-week, early and mid-mornings, and late at night are good options.
- Come prepared with entertainment. Pack coloring books, games, crayons, stuffed animals, movies on a portable DVD player, and anything else that might keep your kids busy.
- Pack your carry-on bag with an assumed 48-hour delay. This means you’ve got a change of clothes, diapers, and enough to entertain the whole family should your original travel plans be thrown off track. Bring your own snacks as well.
- Avoid unnecessary stops. If possible, fly straight to your destination.
- Choose seats that let you keep a bag within arm’s reach. This means avoiding the bulkhead seats, even if they have extra room.